Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve thoughts and ideas

  So, it is Christmas Eve. It certainly does not feel like it, since there is no snow or even cold weather to make me want to curl up at home. I pretty much don't do the holidays anymore, ever since my parents split many years ago. It just doesn't feel like a cheery and fun time. Instead, it becomes a time of reflection and thinking of the new year. And, dare I say, goal-setting. Here are a few things I intend to accomplish or, at least, work towards.
  I heart track and field. Really, seriously. It was the first sport I participated in in my youth, when in grade school, I ran with a group that trained for a 5K. It was so fun and didn't feel like work, just exercise with friends. It was something that I, and only I, was accountable for; win or lose, good time or bad time, it was no one's fault but mine. And I have really reverted to that some 30 years later. This is a time in my life where I desire to challenge myself again in that way. Such great memories of running with my mom, bless her. Running in a big road race at age 10 was pretty cool, and running a 5:07 mile at age 11 was even neater. Geez, just said neat. Wow.
  Anyway, my goal last summer was to run in some open all-comers track meets. You know, the kind where you show up and pay a few bucks to run in a weekly format. Very grassroots. Unfortunatley, my body was just not ready, between the Achilles and heel issues and just being too heavy. Well, now the issues are almost resolved and I have dropped 45 pounds since the spring. My body feels amazing, and the biggest help has been eliminating wheat and dairy products. These caused immense joint inflammation that stopped me in my tracks. Who knew such a simple change would elicit a huge lifestyle shift??
  These days it's running, sprinting, excelling that I think of. It doesn't matter if I finish last, ever. What matters is that I saw my goals to the end, and did the best of my ability to get there. Part of getting older is realizing your limitations and your mortality. Will I be an Olympian? Never. Will I run a sub 50 second 400? Nope. Will I contract a fatal disease? Sure, that's possible. There are so many things out of my control, yet there are so many that are in my control as well. Can I make more money? Yes. Can I take care of my body and perform to my utmost? Absolutely. Getting older equals more realization and more clarity, and with those comes a deeper satisfaction with my overall outlook.
  The USATF Masters meet is in July in Kansas, of all places. That will be slightly hot. If I get there, great. If not, great too. Either way, it's realizing the journey begins with a single step. That step has already begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment